If you are looking for a summer project, I invite you to take the summer session of Seminary for Seniors: Exploring the Bible. Register by calling the church office. We are going to spend some time investigating the art of reading Scripture. The class meets every other week. The class will meet on Thursday evenings at 6:00 p.m. and on Friday mornings at 10:00 a.m. You only attend one class. You can come on Friday morning one time and Thursday evening the next time. The optional times are for when you will be out of town or on vacation or watching grandchildren or taking a cruise or watching a ballgame. And may the Lord bless all your summer fun in the sun. It is, after all, summer time.
One of my favorite tasks as a pastor is teaching the Bible. I try to bring to the conversation every available resource for helping us engage with the Scripture and what it actually says. I put my heart and soul into making the reading of Scripture not just interesting but uplifting, inspiring, and motivational. I want you to be in this class. We are going to have a marvelous time together.
Here are the topics (beginning June 1st:)
- Learning again to Read and Teach the Bible Confessionally in the Church
- Why I Read and Teach the Bible Nonliterally – Scripture as Story, Narrative, Metaphor, and Analogy
- The Truth of Scripture Found in the Living of It
- How Christians Can Thrive in an Age that Discounts all Big Stories: Reading the Scriptures in a Postmodern Age
- Put Down Your Literal Bible and Walk Away: Critical Traditioning – The Bible Interpreting the Bible