2016-17 marks our 16th year with an Adopt-a-School relationship with Hines Elementary School (K-4). The purpose of the program is to create a partnership to enhance the educational program of the school. The program seeks to use the expertise of church volunteers to improve the educational opportunities for the children of the school.
The program seeks to:
- Foster interactions between First Baptist and Hines school, school staff, students, and parents
- Foster a better understanding of education and related needs
- Provide a sharing of services and resources between partners
- Increase community support for Peoria Public SchoolsChurch volunteers are asked to spend one hour a week working individually with 1 or more students as a reading tutor. Training is done by District 150. A part of this preparation includes a background check to meet state requirements. The school and our Hines School liaison determines initial but generally the tutor works out the ongoing, regular schedule with the teacher(s) they work with. Benefits for the school include improvement in the quality of educational programming, enhanced learning for students, and a partnership with a neighborhood organization.
- Persons interested in the tutoring program with Hines School are invited to call the church office (309-682-5491) for more information.
- Benefits for the church include personal satisfaction from working with students and staff. The students develop relationships with caring role models.
- It’s well understood that there is great benefit from fostering more adult-child interaction opportunities and the Tutoring program is an excellent opportunity for positive community involvement.
Persons interested in the tutoring program with Hines School are invited to call the church office (309-682-5491) for more information.