If you are handy – don’t mind using a bit of elbow grease – or would enjoy working side-by-side with other men in the church, the ABMen is for you.
WHEN WE MEET:
We meet the first Saturday of each month at 8 am for breakfast, fun and fellowship. This is followed by work projects. Our focus is our church home; repairing, and cleaning. Our projects include these or anything else identified by our Board of Trustees as needed to maintain our church building and grounds.
We have been lucky to have several ABMen who bring carpentry and plumbing skills to the group. Don’t feel like that is required. Many of us just bring a willing spirit. All levels of ability are welcome.
WHY WE ENJOY IT:
- Like any time that men work on projects together, long-term friendships have been formed through participation in ABMen.
- Members express a sense of satisfaction while walking through the church and recognizing their contributions make a material difference in our church facility.
- Several of us have learned through participation how to do projects we might never have tackled on our own.
In addition to our own church home, our ABMen is affiliated with two national organizations.
- ABM of the Great Rivers Region
- American Baptist Men USA
If you have an interest in helping on a larger scale, through ABMen, you have the opportunity to volunteer to be the “hands and feet of Jesus” on projects such as these:
- ABMen’s Disaster Relief Teams helping clean up and rebuild after hurricanes, floods and tornadoes from Puerto Rico to Texas and from Peoria to Baton Rouge.
- Work projects ranging from cleanup at Lake Springfield Baptist Camp and Green Lake Baptist Camp (in Wisconsin) to repair projects at Judson College and University of Illinois Baptist Student Center.
These are never required. Just opportunities for those who have the time and interest to pursue them.
For more information please contact the church office at 309 682-5491.